If your child turns 5 before 1 May they can start school at the beginning of the year. If your child turns 5 on or after 1 May they can start the next year.
From 2024, the Department for Education is introducing a mid-year intake. If your child turns 5 between 1 May and 31 October, they can commence school at the start of term 3 of that year. Students enrolled through a mid-year intake will complete 6 terms of Reception. Further information in relation to the mid-year intake to schools will be released by the department during 2023.
Finding a school
Use the online tool to find your local school.
If we are your closest school, your child will have automatic entry. If we are not your closest school but you would like to enrol, offers will depend on available places and reasons for enrolment including:
- distance of your home to the school
- social or family links to the school
- curriculum requirements not at your local school eg gymnastics or Auslan
- transport and locality convenience
How to apply
- Fill in a registration of interest form available from the front office or by clicking on this link by 30 June.
- Attend one of our school tours in terms 2 and 3. Dates are advertised through our local kindies and also displayed on our Marion Road sign. Individual tours can be arranged by request.
- Wait for an enrolment offer. Offers for enrolment are made in 2 rounds:
- Round 1 offers to local families begin in August.
- Round 2 offers to non-local families begin in September, if places are available.
You must accept the offer by the date indicated on the offer letter. When you accept the offer you will be asked to complete an enrolment form and attend an enrolment meeting. You must provide proof of your child’s:
- name and date of birth eg birth certificate, passport or other travel document such as a visa, citizenship certificate or ImmiCard, Centrelink or other official government documents with your child’s name and birth date
- place of residence eg contract of sale for the property or a recent council rates notice (or if you rent, rental agreement and a bond receipt showing the current place of residence) AND a recent gas or electricity bill for the property.
You must also provide:
- any family law or court orders
- relevant visa information
- documents about health, disability or other support needs.
Transition to school
Starting school is an important time for children and families. Children who make a positive start to school are more likely to:
- feel comfortable, relaxed and valued
- feel excited and motivated to learn
- have good relationships with others
- develop a sense of belonging within the school community.
Starting school is not just about the first day. It is a process that begins when children and families start to prepare in the year before, and continues as children experience their first days, weeks and months of school. The process involves a number of changes for children and families, and everyone reacts differently. For some children the change brings excitement about making friends and learning new things, while for others the change can leave them feeling nervous and overwhelmed.
We believe that our transition to school program helps children cope with the new challenges, supports your child in developing their social, emotional and learning skills and contributes to a successful start to their schooling. We offer the following things to help this transition process:
- GymPlay (gym-based play group)
- School tours
- Orientation visits
- Parent information night
GymPlay is for toddlers and children to pre-school age and their parents/carers. It is a movement program, which encourages children’s physical, social and emotional development through structured, active play. Through active play you can help your child’s coordination and fundamental movement skills. Children are able to use a range of gymnastics, balancing and sport equipment in a free play environment and the session usually ends with songs and activities on the mat.
When: Tuesdays during school term (no session public holidays)
Where: Gym hall – enter from Duncan Ave
1 child $5.00
2 children $8.00
3 children or more $12.00
You will be given an enrolment form and further information when you attend your first session. Please ring the school if you have any questions.
We offer school tours for prospective parents/carers in terms 2 and 3 which include:
- An information session with our leadership team
- A school tour, including our widely recognised Gym for all program
Dates are advertised through our local kindies and also displayed on our Marion Road sign. Individual tours can be arranged by request.
To register your attendance or for further information please contact the school by phoning 8276 3055 or emailing email@example.com .
We hold a series of orientation visits the term prior to starting school to familiarise children with our school context including playtimes, eating times and participating in specialist lessons. More information will be given out at the time of enrolment.
We, at Ascot Park Primary School, acknowledge that the land on which we work, learn and play is the traditional land of the Kaurna People. We pay our respects to Elders past and present, and to the young leaders of tomorrow. We recognise their ongoing connection to Country and in the spirit of reconciliation, we will take action to respect the animals, lands, waters and cultural beliefs of our First Nations Peoples.